U-pick farms is one of our favorite ways to buy fresh fruits and vegetables. It is also a great way to connect with nature. We visited Greenspot Farms this past weekend for an opportunity to pick blackberries. The season is just getting started, therefore, in the coming weeks there will be a lot more fruit on the vines. Address: 10133 Ward Way, Mentone, CA 92359
Greenspot Farms has many activities for you and your family including a playground for your kids and farm animals to keep them occupied. Our kids absolutely loved feeding the animals and would love to come back. Our favorite area of the farm was its' little market. It had several fruits from the farm for sale and refreshments to help keep cool. We recommend wearing light clothing such as shorts, t-shirts and make sure you put on sunscreen. The summer heat is coming, wearing light clothing will help you face the hot weather this summer.
The blackberry bushes are near the farm entrance. There are two sections of blackberry bushes that extend about 30 - 50 feet. You may have to bend down to find the sweetest, ripest berries. As you can see in this picture, the ripe berries are hiding under the leaves. Picking fruit is about being patient and using your detective skills. The bushes, as you know, have thorns and kids under 10 should be supervised to avoid getting scratched and poked.
This farm has a little of everything. We found avocado trees, Christmas trees, apple trees and plum trees. Their store sells locally grown oranges and honey as well. Bring cash to pay. There is no cashier on site and based on the honor system. In order to help keep this amazing farm open to the public, please make sure you pay the correct amount or donate a bit extra.
We got found ourselves just sitting by the picnic tables enjoying the sound of the birds and the gently blowing wind through the beautiful trees surrounding. The farm is really quiet and it was quite hot the day we visited. It was a really beautiful day on the farm. We hope you enjoy your visit!
4444 State Hwy 78 - Julian/Wynola CA 92036
Telephone: (951) 313-0166
5696 Los Angeles Avenue, Somis, CA, 93066
Telephone: (805) 386-4660
Tips from Pick Your Own Org website and a few of our own:
- Call before you visit. Times and availability might change at any time. So before you drive a distance call the farm and confirm they are open and have fruit on the vine.
- Bring cash. Some farms do not have debit or credit card machines.
- Arrive early because during the weekends the fields might be picked clean by noon.
- Never leave without sunscreen and water. Bring a snack or picnic lunch because picking your own fruit does work up your appetite.
- Follow the farm rules. Most farms offer buckets or baskets to collect your fruit. Prices and picking rules are usually posted by the entrance. Please follow the rules and use the containers they provide.
- Do not wash berries until you are ready to eat.
- Do refrigerate your berries and cover them to keep them fresh.
- Take lots of pictures and share your experience with friends and family. These small farms depend on word of mouth to keep them open.